Monday 14 October 2019

The Handmaid's Tale: The Graphic Novel





Everything Handmaids wear is red:
the colour of blood, which defines us.






With Margaret Atwood's The Testaments being released and making a splash this year, I decided to refresh myself on the story of The Handmaid's Tale without actually rereading The Handmaid's Tale - hence, the graphic novel adaptation. I won't comment on the content of this story, just the adaptation, and while admitting that I'm no expert on graphic novels, I will say that Renée Nault tells a satisfying story, complete with lushly beautiful and engaging watercolour pictures. And while I did enjoy the artwork (and in particular the variety of viewpoints and the ways in which the Handmaids' wardrobe would bust through the frames in waves of bloody red), the AV Club in their review complained, "Everything is too pretty and delicate and aesthetically pleasing to instill the sense of fear this story deserves". Reading that after the fact I can see the reviewer's point, but I will stick with four stars and consider myself refreshed enough to tackle Atwood's follow up.








None of that looks "too pretty" to me.