Tuesday 18 June 2019

Tunesday : White Rabbit


White Rabbit
(Jefferson Airplane)

One pill makes you larger
And one pill makes you small
And the ones that mother gives you
Don't do anything at all
Go ask Alice
When she's ten feet tall

And if you go chasing rabbits
And you know you're going to fall
Tell 'em a hookah-smoking caterpillar
Has given you the call
Call Alice
When she was just small

When the men on the chessboard
Get up and tell you where to go
And you've just had some kind of mushroom
And your mind is moving low
Go ask Alice
I think she'll know

When logic and proportion
Have fallen sloppy dead
And the White Knight is talking backwards
And the Red Queen's off with her head
Remember what the dormouse said
Feed your head
Feed your head




Mallory and I went to the Apollo Cinema to see Jan Švankmajer's film, Alice (the Czech director's surreal adaptation of Through the Looking Glass), and although we knew that it was going to be a trip - told through puppets and stop-motion taxidermy - it was both more and less bizarre than I had been expecting. Reviews from when it was first released in the 80's are telling me that Švankmajer did a fantastic job of capturing the dreamlike story that Lewis Carroll had intended, but for the most part, I just found it a bit sleepy; it was literally putting me to sleep in the theatre.

On the other hand, the opening short film for the evening - Bobby Yeah by Robert Morgan - was hilarious and disturbing, fast-paced and unsettling; everything I had been hoping for. Overall, t'was a fine evening out with a daughter I don't get to see enough of, and I'd sit (and nod off) through any movie to be with her.