Tuesday 21 August 2018

Tunesday : What's My Age Again?


What's My Age Again?
(Delonge, T/ Hoppus, M/ Barker, T) Performed by Blink 182

I took her out. It was a Friday night
I wore cologne to get the feeling right
We started making out, and she took off my pants
But then I turned on the TV

And that's about the time she walked away from me
Nobody likes you when you're 23
And are still more amused by TV shows
What the hell is ADD?

My friends say I should act my age
What's my age again?
What's my age again?

Then later on, on the drive home
I called her mom from a pay phone
I said I was the cops, and your husband's in jail
This state looks down on sodomy

And that's about the time that bitch hung up on me
Nobody likes you when you're 23
And are still more amused by prank phone calls
What the hell is Call ID?

My friends say I should act my age
What's my age again?
What's my age again?

And that's about the time she walked away from me
Nobody likes you when you're 23
And you still act like you're in freshman year
What the hell is wrong with me?

My friends say I should act my age
What's my age again?
What's my age again?

That's about the time that she broke up with me
No one should take themselves so seriously
With many years ahead to fall in line
Why would you wish that on me?
I never wanna act my age
What's my age again?
What's my age again?

What's my age again?




We were still on our camping holiday when Kennedy actually turned 23, so we had to wait until we got home again to have family over for cake and pink champagne. But even so, Mallory made sure she was the first one to sing this song to her older sister; Mal said that she had been waiting for ten years to be the first to tell Kennedy that "nobody likes you when you're twenty-three". (And Mal wasn't the last either; Conor couldn't wait for his turn to razz his older cousin during this dinner.)

It's funny that Blink 182 chose "23" as their magic number, because whenever people talk about being stuck at a certain mental age ("18 'til I die", "turning 30 for the fourth time"), twenty-three is where I am at. I got married at twenty-three, I finally felt like a full and happy grownup, and I was having the time of my life. Funny to now be fifty and still feel twenty-three inside. And listening to these lyrics for the first time (because it's not like I was listening to Blink 182 while raising my babies), there's some wisdom here: probably nobody would like you if you were twenty-three and still making prank phone calls or turning on the TV while making out with your honey. I guess you better act like a grownup at twenty-three, and I am happy and proud to acknowledge that Kennedy is living the life of an adult; working hard and building her foundations for a full and productive life. If nobody else does, your Mama will probably, hopefully, still like you when you're twenty-three.

                                                                  My friends say I should act my age
                                                                             What's my age again?
                                                                             What's my age again?