Tuesday 14 January 2014

Mind Picking : Time Tripping

My lovely sister-in-law across the street has started  a new job this week and she came over the other day to propose a change to our morning routine. Since she will now be starting work at 8 am, and will need to leave her house by 7:30, she and my brother have decided that it's time to let their kids (11 and 9 years old) get themselves ready and off to school. (Until now, she left the house at 8:15 and has been able to either drive them to school or send them off herself.) I pointed out, first to Laura and later to Ken, that I'm right here…across the street…doing nothing…I could be doing nothing there with my niece and nephew. But no, they think it's a positive -- that their kids will become more responsible and independent if they're forced to take this on. When I was telling Dave about all this, I became unaccountably upset and I've only now figured out why: When we were kids, my brothers and I had to get ourselves ready and off to school even though our mother was home, shouting out orders from her bed.

It would be impossible for me to give a reason for my mother's actions, but it was obvious she was sad if not outright depressed. I still cringe, thinking of her yelling at us through a closed door, and even at the time I resented it so badly. I remember once, in grade 5, which is exactly in the middle of my niece and nephew's ages, I was late for school and when the teacher demanded an explanation, for the first and only time ever,  I complained about my home life and said, "Because there were no clean clothes at home and my Mom wouldn't get out of bed to help me find something". I was expecting shock or sympathy, I had been late because I was digging through the dirty clothes hamper to find the least dirty thing to wear as per my mother's, shouted, instructions, but in front of the whole class Miss Cassidy raised her voice and said, "What are you, a baby? You need your Mommy to dress you?" *

All through elementary school, not only was the clean clothes situation dodgy, but I had to figure out my own breakfast, and until grade 7 I always wore a ponytail -- having haircuts, salon or otherwise, was never offered to me, so the only way I could try and look presentable was to drag a brush through the mop and rake it back into an elastic. (Happily, in grade 7 I started babysitting and realised that I could walk into a salon, with my own money, and get my hair cut. Getting those first bangs was one of the most freeing events of my life, lol.) And every day, my mother would lay in bed, shouting that it was getting late, we had to get a move on, but she never got up to help us out. Ken eventually took advantage of this, and when he decided to become a juvenile delinquent, he would sometimes smoke pot in the bathroom, right down the hallway from our mother, knowing full well that there was no way she would catch him. Now, also during these years, even though she wouldn't make us breakfast, my mother insisted that we walk home for lunch. Most kids (like 95%) were bussed into St. Mark's, so they would have their bagged lunches, and after wolfing them down, those kids were able to join in organised lunch hour sports. My brothers and I would have to run or bike home, no matter what was happening at school, shovel in the beans or ravioli or fruit cocktail that Mom had uncanned for us, and hightail it back in time to join our friends -- no exceptions to this rule, home for lunch was obligatory. What was incredible to me was that when I started high school, when I couldn't come home for lunch, there simply was no lunch anymore. Nothing was prepared for us and there really wasn't anything to prepare -- I suppose I could have always made a PB&J, but we had no tupperware or baggies to put a sandwich in. From grade 9 on, I had to go to school without a lunch and sometimes a friend would share with me or buy me something from the caff, but mostly I went hungry. I did ask my mother once why there was nothing for us to bring for lunch and she got angry and yelled, "Because I'm not made of money". (And to be fair: When we were in elementary school and there would be a field trip and we had to have a packed lunch, my mother would go buy a cheap pop -- Faygo! -- and a Vachon cake for us, and I wondered later if that's what she thought all the kids always had for lunch -- is that what she protested she couldn't afford to provide every day?) Like with my first haircut, though, when we moved to Lethbridge in grade 10 and I got my first part-time job, I had an incredible sense of freedom when I was able to start eating out.

And let's talk about the weather! My mother didn't have a car of her own, so no matter how cold or wet or how many books or other stuff we had to carry, we were walking kids before high school. I remember once way back in Saint John that it was raining, torrential rain, when my brothers and I were walking to school . It was so bad that a school bus stopped and the driver asked if we were going to the public school (I don't even remember the name) and offered to give us a lift. I pointed at our little brother and said that we had to bring him to Kindergarten (which was private and in a woman's basement), so while Ken skipped up the steps of the bus to get out of the rain, I waved at the driver and walked Kyler to his school before going on to mine. If Kye was in Kindergarten, then we were 8, 7 and 5, sent out into the elements alone, definitely without umbrellas, and I can't be positive that we would have had proper raincoats or rubber boots ("Because I'm not made of money.") Now, we wouldn't have been any drier if our mother had walked us to school, but nothing was ever done to make this easier for us. (And to be fair: My mother talks of the incredibly long walk she had to make to school each day when she was young, so she probably thought we had it pretty good by comparison.)

When Kennedy first started school, I didn't have a car of my own, but since she was in Junior Kindergarten, and 4 years old, I naturally walked with her. We lived pretty close, a ten minute walk tops, but the first time there was an ice storm and I was running with both the girls under the umbrella of Mal's stroller, the week after I had my gallbladder removed,  I decided that I really needed a cheap car and I got one. As the years went on, the need for Kennedy to start walking by herself never came up -- since my girls are 3 years apart, I was always picking up the younger one anyway (whether by foot or by car) so there was never any need for them to walk alone. And since Ken and Laura moved here with their kids and Conor is 4 years younger than Mal, and Ella is 2 years younger than him, there has always been a younger kid who needed to be picked up and room for the older kids too -- no need for anyone to walk alone, ever. That changed when Kennedy started high school, a 15 minute walk in the opposite direction from where the rest of the kids went, so of course I wanted her to be independent and finally start making that walk alone. Within a few weeks, Kennedy came home after school in tears and said that she had been followed by a group of girls that she had went to elementary school with and they had taunted her the whole way, talking about how easy it would be for them to kick her ass. And I told her right there that she would never need to walk to or from school again if she didn't want to -- why wouldn't I drive her when I'm sitting here doing nothing anyway?

Sure, over the years Dave has accused me of babying the girls -- he doesn't think I should be making their breakfasts anymore or packing lunches for them, certainly not driving Mallory to school now that she's in grade 10, but how could I not do these things? I have no doubt that both of my girls could write their own blogs, lament all the ways that I've screwed them up, but I hope that they can eventually see all the ways I've tried to protect them from the specific things that once hurt me. And to be fair: My own mother told me when I was little that she resented having to scrub the floor of her childhood home every Saturday morning before she could go out to play and she promised me then that I would never need to scrub a floor in her house -- and I never did. We all have these mother-issues, I know.

So back to where I started -- the reason why I am saddened by the idea of my niece and nephew being left alone in the mornings: I'm right here and it's unnecessary; it's like I'm my mother, laying here, refusing to see them off, and that has always been my line in the sand; the thing I will not do. And Ken should know better -- even if he didn't feel neglected as a kid, he has an idea of what mischief the unsupervised can get up to. Laura outlined how her kids have been told that they're not to cook anything after she leaves and that they're to check in with me as they leave so that I know they've left, but my concerns aren't about safety or truancy -- inside me I know that a kid needs to be seen off in the morning with a smile and a hug and a cheery "Have a good day", and even if I was just able to give them that as they checked in with me, I'm still sad. I want to baby the babies. At least I'm cleared to drive them in bad weather.

Conor and Ella at Little Shop of Horrors last weekend.


*Now that Miss Cassidy is on my mind, I want to digress and say what a miserable year I had in her class. I have always been this awkward mix of inappropriately impulsive and painfully shy, speaking or acting before my brain catches up, and while most teachers liked me, I got a bad vibe from my grade 5 teacher. She was morbidly obese and quite young, the only "Miss" we ever had, and I think the fact she wasn't a mother caused her to have a lack of understanding and empathy -- I also think we were her first teaching job, so I'm sure that to her us kids were still fairly theoretical . (She was the only teacher I ever made the mistake of calling Mom and that also got a shout-out-loud mockery in front of the class.) I remember we had weekly contests in math and spelling and the results were kept in a chart on the blackboard. I was flawless at spelling and my name was always at the top of the leaderboard, but even so, when Miss Cassidy said there would be a prize for the leaders of each contest when Halloween rolled around, I was ridiculously nervous -- I wanted that prize, whatever it would be, so badly. I was the spelling winner in the end and the prize was a chocolate witch, in a good-sized box like a chocolate rabbit for Easter, and I had never even seen anything so grand, let alone received one. Miss Cassidy gave me and the other (math) girl our witches when the class was lined up to leave for the day, and awkward and tongue-tied, I turned to my best friend, who was also eyeballing the unbelievable prize, and I said, "I wonder if it's hollow or solid?"  I didn't mean for the teacher to hear me, but she did, and her feelings must have been hurt because she said something like, "Well, if that isn't the greediest, most ungrateful thing I've ever heard…" I was mortified and mumbled something about how I was just hoping it was hollow because I wasn't allowed to have too much chocolate. Lame. Since that was Halloween, so early in the school year, I'm sure that was the defining incident that made me think that Miss Cassidy hated me for the whole year. When I told my mother, many years later, that I thought my grade 5 teacher didn't like me, she said, "Yes she did! In parent-teacher interviews she would go on about how bright and engaged you were. As a matter of fact, she wanted to let you skip grade 6 and go right into 7, but your Dad and I vetoed that right away." That was the first I had heard of that, and since at the time of the conversation I was a bored high school student who couldn't imagine being a year closer to leaving that teenage prison, I whined, "But whyyyyy? Whyyy  couldn't I have skipped?" Mom said the reasons were two-fold: Since I was born in December, my Dad didn't want me to be nearly two years younger than my classmates, especially when I got to high school and started dating and going to parties -- and that makes sense that those would be my uber-controlling father's reasons -- but my Mom was more concerned about promoting me into Ken's grade and how it would have made him feel. And that makes sense for her -- but that reason wasn't even about me, and besides, Ken ended up failing all of his grade 9 classes in his first year of high school (*see smoking pot in the bathroom before school above*) and was flunked down into my grade anyway. So many resentments I hold. Purge. Release.