Tuesday 9 March 2021

Vulnerability is My Superpower: An Underpants and Overbites Collection

 


 

Vulnerability is my superpower. But it wasn’t always. If you’d asked me even three years ago, I probably would have said silliness was my superpower, and then made a “boing, boing” sound as I hopped away. Moments later though, I would’ve boinged back anxiously and asked, “Did I say something wrong? Are you mad at me? Do you like me?” Because really, self-doubt was my super-power. Or maybe it was my super-deficit. Either way, it all brought me here.



 I follow a few gently humorous webcomics to counteract the seemingly unending negativity of my social media feeds and Underpants and Overbites by Jackie E. Davis is one of my favourite emerging gems. Touted as “diary comics”, Davis’ work is introspective, relatable, and often very funny. Vulnerability is My Superpower is Davis’ first collection in book form, and although I was delighted to come across a free review copy on NetGalley, I will happily buy this upon release in order to support this young woman and her art. And you should, too.


A peek at Davis’ quirkiness:



And her more serious side:



You can't help but want the best for Jackie, her purple potato-shaped husband, Pat, and her favourite plushie, Butter Udder. Good luck to Jackie in all her endeavors, and long may her pencil keep showing her the way!