Tuesday 27 February 2018

Tunesday : So Long Marianne


So Long Marianne
Written and Performed by Leonard Cohen

Come over to the window, my little darling,
I'd like to try to read your palm.
I used to think I was some kind of Gypsy boy
Before I let you take me home.

Now so long, Marianne, it's time that we began
To laugh and cry and cry and laugh about it all again.

Well you know that I love to live with you,
But you make me forget so very much.
I forget to pray for the angels
And then the angels forget to pray for us.

Now so long, Marianne, it's time that we began...

We met when we were almost young
Deep in the green lilac park.
You held on to me like I was a crucifix,
As we went kneeling through the dark.

Oh so long, Marianne, it's time that we began...

Your letters they all say that you're beside me now.
Then why do I feel alone?
I'm standing on a ledge and your fine spider web
Is fastening my ankle to a stone.

Now so long, Marianne, it's time that we began...

For now I need your hidden love.
I'm cold as a new razor blade.
You left when I told you I was curious,
I never said that I was brave.

Oh so long, Marianne, it's time that we began...

Oh, you are really such a pretty one.
I see you've gone and changed your name again.
And just when I climbed this whole mountainside,
To wash my eyelids in the rain!

Oh so long, Marianne, it's time that we began...



Mallory and I went into Toronto last week because she had bought tickets to A Singer Must Die - a tribute to Leonard Cohen put on by the Art of Time Ensemble; featuring rotating performances by five Canadian singers, interspersed with writers telling personal anecdotes about meeting Cohen, or simply being inspired by him. What a fantastic show this made for! The whole family saw Steven Page when he toured with Art of Time a few years ago and Dave was super-excited to spot him outside the venue and get his ticket autographed. One of the songs they had worked up together for that album and tour was Cohen's A Singer Must Die, so Mal and I were unsurprised to see Page leading off the tribute night with that number. What a delight it was to see how each of the five singers (Page, Sarah Harmer, Sarah Slean, Tom Wilson, and Gregory Hoskins) interpreted and were moved by Cohen's music; it moved the audience as well. While they didn't actually perform So Long Marianne, I chose it just so I could share Steven Page's anecdote:

For the book launch of Leonard Cohen's poetry collection, Book of Longing in 2006, Indigo (the company I work for, making this the story that I liked best) asked the newly retired-from-performing Cohen if he would be willing to make an appearance at the big flagship store in downtown Toronto; sign some books and wave at the crowd. He agreed, and as the date moved closer, Indigo decided to make it more of an event by closing off the street and asking some local musicians, including Ron Sexsmith and Steven Page, if they would be interested in coming along and jamming a few Cohen songs. Turns out, they were interested. Very interested.

On the day of the event, Page jumped on the subway and made his way to the store, and when he got there, was shown to the storeroom. Inside, he found a circle of chairs and all of these local singers - presided over by Leonard Cohen - jamming and singing all the old songs. Page was super-excited and joined in. During a break, Page worked up the nerve to ask Cohen if he would sign some of the books he had brought along, and when Cohen smiled and said Sure, Page grabbed for the heavy bag jammed full of poetry that he had schlepped on the subway, and when Cohen saw what he was doing, he growled, "Not now." Page was chastened, but he told all this with the biggest grin on his face.

When they got out onto the stage, everyone had a ball singing the songs while Cohen watched and smiled. At some point, sensing an eagerness in him, the singers motioned for Cohen to join in if he liked, and as Page described it, "You can find the video on YouTube - I'm the joker with the enormous head grinning ear to ear as Leonard Cohen, supercool and dapper as hell, stands across from me and sings along. I could not believe I was singing with my lifelong hero, Leonard Cohen, and as we were standing there, me grinning like an idiot, Leonard Cohen was staring serenely at me, and it seemed to go straight to my soul: I could feel him approving of me; saying You're okay, you're okay, and I had this feeling of great calm until I suddenly realised - he's not sending me some zen message; he's staring at my lips trying to remember the words."

Okay, that got big laughs and prompted me to look for the YouTube video. And yes, Steven Page is the one with the huge head grinning ear to ear, but I was more impressed by Cohen's performance than the story had led me to expect; I appreciated the laugh though in the midst of a fairly serious show. Ultimately, this evening of story and song was a completely enjoyable and fitting tribute to a true Canadian legend.